Sunday, November 13, 2011

Basil Restaurant-Mwaaa!






Oh, Basil.  Sweet Basil.  I love you! 
I woke up 5:00 in the morning with deep cravings for your delectable basil fries and that creamy truffle infused dip that came with them.   I woke up wanting another bite of your flavorful pizza with that delicious crispy crust…
 My brother said to ignore you.  That you were not good enough for me.  He said that that your portions were skimpy and that you had nothing on the table for hungry patrons to nibble on while they waited.  He said that your chef was a disgrace.  Touching his nose, and eating in front of everyone.
I am so glad I did not take his advice and decided to check you out for myself. 
This is how my husband and I went about it.
Firstly, so that I did not feel ravenous before the meal, I had a small bowl of cheerios to tide the gurgling stomach. 
Next, my husband and I left the house no later than 7:30 and took the car.  No walking tonight! 
We arrived at the restaurant with the agreement to have absolutely no expectations.  Anything nice would be a bonus.
We were soon seated in a quiet corner of the candlelit room and allowed to peruse the menus.   The menu was written up on loose parchment like papers-held together on a clip board. 
As the attentive waiter asked us if we needed something besides for the usual drink, I let him know we would like something to nibble on.  He acted a little uncertain about the matter, but soon came up with the brilliant idea of some bread for us.
When the bread did arrive, (a tad late) it was perfectly chewy and soft and crispy, and was accompanied by tasty oil dribbled next to it on a serving dish. 
Our second waitress was friendly, attentive and talented as well.  She was able to remember everything we said to her by heart.  She walked around without a pen and clipboard. I was impressed.
Another thing that impressed me was the thoughtfully designed décor of the room.  An air of romance and beauty was a thing that came to me.  Loved the big open windows.  The cluster of unlit lamps overhead.  The delicate white blossoming trees, softening  up the masculine lines of the room.  Elegant music discretely playing in the background.
And of course I loved the blazing fire in the big brick pizza oven.   The fire cast its light and warmth onto our faces as our own little table candle flickered and echoed back sentiments of its own.
My point in elaborating on all of these details is that just as the owner of this fine establishment had thought of everything needed for a visually pleasing atmosphere, he/she likewise knew how to orchestrate a most palatable experience as well.
They offered up the perfect selection of new and creative dishes to choose from.  From the wine, to the pizza and fries, the spinach dumplings and on to dessert….  We had regular pizza, and requested extra veggies to go on top of its delicious sauce.  Then we wanted more pizza.  So we got more of the same.  The chardonnay was very nice.  The basil fries were artfully piled on top of each other, and tasted unbelievable.  The spinach dumplings were filling and garnished tastily. 
Our dessert was the house special.  It was Chocolate mousse with creamy sauce and vanilla ice-cream.  Each tiny mound was placed in its own section of the dish.   It was very rich and satisfying for my little sweet tooth.  My regret was that we did not order a light salad to go with everything else.  That would have given us the necessary balance needed to counteract the heaviness of the cheese and sauce.  And another thing I regret is that we did not take our leftovers home with us. What were we thinking??!!
Thank you Basil, for a very fine and well thought out dining experience.   We felt your love and you are a keeper!

Tip of the day:  If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it!!  
Something I learned from a little past experience is that when you really want to enjoy your food,  get something basic that you are familiar with and always enjoy.  Then change it up a bit.  A bit…
UPDATE: I have gone to Basil two more times since this review, and besides for their pricey menu, I have enjoyed every bit of the experience!


Ps. For all you ladies out there, they have a gorgeous bathroom in the back!

Basil
(718) 285-8777
Crown Heights 270 Kingston Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11213
www.basilny.com

 

1 comment:

  1. I've been to that bathroom! It IS really nice! I remember thinking that when I used it.
    The restaurant itself was also pretty nice. I don't remember noticing the decor, but I do remember ordering something I couldn't pronounce and being disappointed. It turned out to be a big bowl of cheese :/ But the fries were excellent, and I tasted our brother Ben's dish (something fishy), which was very tasty. I would definitely go back next time I'm in C.H., especially if you're treating!
    Shira

    ReplyDelete