Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Spring Fling


What is it about shoes dangling high above my head, flung casually over power lines that makes me wonder and wonder…
Firstly, how did they get there, and how come I can never catch these guys in the act? How many tries does it take to make a perfect landing, and is it technically legal to dispose of your personal affects in this manner?
Also, what exactly happened to the guy who was wearing those shoes? Was he some unfortunate victim of the mafia or of some vicious street gang, who before meeting his untimely death had his shoes removed , shoelaces methodically tied together and then flung up there as a cryptic way of warning others “don’t mess, or this is what will happen to you.”

4 comments:

  1. I'd imagine the only people who DON'T wonder about the shoes hanging overhead are the people who actually threw them up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! But still, I wish I could catch them in the act just once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny!

    I think I've seen shoes in trees as well. And why only shoes? Do you think the guys have plans to retrieve when the coast is clear? And how do they end up coming down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if the shoes ever come down. I think they just stay there forever, slowly decomposing in the sun, and freezing to bits in the snow. And I bet they make cozy nests for the little birds up on the power lines. When evening comes they all fight over who gets to sleep in the Air Jordan Nike shoe.

    ReplyDelete